Lean User Research Workshop with Tomer Sharon – Speaker 2012 at WUC
The golden triangle of user research
The fast adoption of the Lean Startup management approach among startups, enterprises, and government agencies worldwide has brought to light new (and renewed) user research methods. These methods help answer burning questions people, teams, and organizations have about their customers. A key aspect of Lean User Research is that it creates a shared understanding among research stakeholders and that it provides fast, reliable results.
This workshop will walk attendees through a lean user research process starting from understanding what it is, what it is good for, when to use and not use it, through quickly recruiting participants for research, to actual implementation of methods.
In the spirit of Lean Startup’s Validated Learning principle, workshop attendees will spend most time on practicing lean research methods to validate a problem users care about, a market that has that problem, and a product that solves the problem for that market. The workshop will wrap up with a Design Studio exercise to build shared understanding and research buy-in among stakeholders.
Workshop attendees can choose to practice their real projects or case studies provided by the workshop facilitator.
• Introduction to Lean Startup
• Principles of Lean User Research
• Shared understanding
• When to use Lean Research
• Recruiting participants using social media
• Exercise 1: Assumptions and hypotheses
• Exercise 2: Problem validation with Experience Sampling
• Day 1 wrap-up
• Exercise 3: Market validation with Concierge & Fake Doors Tests
• Exercise 4: Product validation with A/B Testing
• Lean Research reporting techniques
• The Rainbow Spreadsheet
• Exercise 5: Design Studio Methodology
• Lean literature & resources
• Workshop wrap-up
• Attendees must bring a laptop.
• Have Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus accounts (not a must).
• Have a Google Adwords account (free, no need to run any campaign).
• Have a Google Analytics account (free, we will use a tool in it, no need to have a website).
About Tomer Sharon
Tomer Sharon is a Senior User Experience Researcher at Google Search in New York City. He is the author of the upcoming book, Lean User Research for Product Development (Rosenfeld Media, 2015) and author of, It’s Our Research: Getting stakeholder buy-in for user experience research projects (2012).
He founded and led The Israeli Chapter of the User Experience Professionals’ Association and is a LUXr coach and a General Assembly instructor. He is also a mentor at Google’s Campus TLV, a program for UX learning, collaboration, and mentorship for Israeli startups.
Tomer holds a master’s degree in Human Factors in Information Design from Bentley University in Waltham, MA. He is @tsharon on Twitter.