In this talk, I will explain how human evolution has shaped the way how we respond to and interact with media and information technologies in certain ways. After that, I will explain how our understanding of such influences of evolution can be effectively applied to the design of successful ICT (information and communication technologies) products and interfaces. I propose that in order to design innovative IT products, we need to understand and develop the following four things (1. Evolutionary responses to technology form factors; 2. Sensor technologies to understand users; 3. Technologies manifesting machine’s wills and desires; 4. Social interfaces). Examples come from both my academic and industry works spanning from evolutionary psychology to current directions in smart media design by Samsung.
Kwan Min LEE, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Interaction Science
Director, Interaction Science Research Center
Samsung Electronics, Seoul, S. Korea.
• Vice President, User Experience Group, Design Team, Visual Display Division (2013 –
• Director, Creative Lab (C-Lab), Future Strategy Team, Visual Display Division, (2014 –
MAJOR LEADERSHIP & SERVICES
• Chair, Communication and Technology (CAT) Division, International Communication
Association (ICA), 2012 – 2014.
• Vice President, Korean American Communication Association (KACA), 2005 – 2007.
• Associate Editor, MIT Press, Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments. 2013 –
Editorial Board Members.
o Journal of Computer Mediated Communication
o Media Psychology
o Asian Journal of Communication
o International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction
o International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning
o Advances in Journalism and Communication
o Human Communication Research (Previous)
o Journal of Communication (Previous)
Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.